Thursday, January 10, 2013

Almost Master Bathroom Renovation: Part II

After years of planning and months of waiting, our "almost master bathroom" is finally completed.  I refer to it as my "almost master bathroom" because the tiny bathroom was most recently a Jack and Jill style bathroom connecting from our master bedroom to the hallway. When we bought our home in 2006, Scott and I had major renovation plans in mind. Thanks to a long recession and a "who knew kids were this expensive" realization, our major plans have been majorly compromised. Clinging to the dream of completing the back half of our renovation, I decided to close in the wall to our room and work within the existing space constraints.

Some of you may remember the before shots seen below:



We closed in the wall to our bedroom


 I worked with Interior Designer Kathy Wilder to make sure everything turned out just perfect!


Kathy created this concept board and we got right to work!

After I drove Kathy crazy with paint drama, we finally decided on Benjamin Moore's Athena from Eastway Paint. I say that because after purchasing paint from three different stores in Athena, I ended up with three totally different colors of Athena. We cut the color Athena in half for the walls and painted it in a eggshell finish. The bead board and trim are Athena in a semi gloss finish. The guys at Eastway Paint are geniuses and they literally solved all of my paint problems with almost no tears. 


In the daylight it is so much whiter and brighter. . .


Than in the shadows of the evening.

With maximum storage in mind, I called on Kris at Aspen Cabinetry to custom design a vanity and storage tower. Because we live in an historic home, we chose a simple shaker style cabinet. I had to nail down the paint colors first so that I could give Kris the sample paint. He matched the paint and had it finished in the same Athena paint as the beadboard and trim. The simplicity adds the modern factor I craved, while blending seamlessly with the architecture of the home. 


When they first came in I panicked that they were way too big!



But they fit just fine!



Last time I blogged on the bathroom, I was obsessed with this slab Calcutta Gold marble.


One of the lesson's I learned is that if you are only in need of a small remnant of stone, you are at the mercy of whatever remnants the fabricators have available. 


Harkey Tile & Stone had this amazing remnant of White Quartzite tucked in front of a (sold) piece of Calcutta Gold. A leftover from the renovation of a very prominent Charlotte attorney, I fell in love with it's transparency (you can shine a light through it) and white/brown/gray veinning. Not to mention that it was also a total steal!


The bathroom is already done but this blog is going to take a while. Check back this week for the final blog on our "almost master bath!"







1 comment: