Saturday, July 23, 2011

Salt Heaven. . .



Several years ago (ok 3 1/2 years ago) I visited my sister Ashley in Sydney, Australia. While we were traveling we flew to into Adelaide, South AU and traveled south as far as Kangaroo, Island.  We stopped in McLaren Vale, home to some of the most beautiful vineyards, best wine tasting and gourmet foods that I have ever had the honor of experiencing first hand.

*At the Cellar Door, bowls full of Murray River Sea Salt, the perfect sprinkle for the freshest olive oil and homemade baguette!


While totally indulging myself in wine, I also discovered the amazing taste  of Murray River Sea Salt! The Murray River, is the largest major source of fresh water (it is high in salinity, thus the salt) in Australia. It is also the worlds third largest river. The salt is produced naturally from the underground brines in the Murray Darling Basin in Australia. It's perfect peach color comes from carotene that's secreted from the algae in the saline waters that have been dormant for thousands of years. It has the lightest "flaking"  salt crystals that make it melt quickly and the perfect ingredient for everything from salad to salmon.  I found it locally at my favorite home away from home, Dean and Deluca.

To learn more about the Murray River go to: http://www.murrayriver.com.au/about-the-murray/

20110723-030758.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment